The 7% Solu....errr....Problem?

That was my immediate reaction when I came across this piece over the weekend. Previously I was pooh-poohing talk of 2 and even 3% delinquencies on the grounds that they were still crazy low. But once you get over 5% then you start a-thinking a little more.

The numbers by sector were about what I expected with one exception:
The multifamily sector accounted for 26% of the $37.9 billion delinquent unpaid balance for CMBS in November, followed closely by retail (25%), office (16%), and hotel (15%). Conversely, the industrial market accounted for less than 2% of the delinquent unpaid balance for CMBS during the same period. Health care properties represented less than 1%.
Hotel at 15%? Does that include the ESA loan? If not, I agree with the story that you are going to see more trouble there before it is all said and done. But are we going to hit 7 or even 8% in 2010? The hotel sector alone might be able to push that number, but we'll all just have to see. (Boy, do I wish I owned a working crystal ball sometimes.)

From the legal perspective: this means more and more working out. And I don't mean the treadmill, although I am going to take a spin in that as soon as I finish this post. We lawyers will have to spend some long hours negotiating and documenting deals. And that has to be done carefully -- no more of this "cowboy law" stuff we saw going on. I am starting to see litigation ramping up over some deals where you have to wonder, if you know what I mean. This is a time to dot i's and cross t's like you never have before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lehman, AIG, and now Merrill? Think there are some busy lawyers?

GGP and SPEs - bankruptcy remote, bankruptcy proof?

Is it me, or is this obvious?